Photo on left: My new Baltimore hat (one of my favorites) and a great view down the first base line
Photo on right: Center field scoreboard with the Baltimore Sun logo and old clock.
Stadium Name: Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Team: Baltimore Orioles
Stadium Rating: B+
First Game: April 8, 2017, Orioles – 5, New York Yankees – 4
When I decided early this year that I would start seriously pursuing my dream to go to all 30 parks, I decided that I should start by going to a stadium on opening weekend. While the Rockies were in town, I wanted to go out of town, and that place ended up being Baltimore, Maryland.
Thanks to Jason who drove up to D.C. to get me from the airport, I was able to knock two stadiums off my list in the first baseball weekend of 2017.
Oriole Park at Camden Yards is a beautiful stadium, and currently I’ll rate it just ahead of Coors Field. It has plenty of unique features, including many classic touches that remind of older ballparks. I loved the old-style clock and local newspaper advertisement that grace the top of the center field scoreboard. The warehouse behind right field lining Eutaw Street is a thing of beauty.
Boog’s BBQ in dead center field was a recommendation from my professor Dr. Mike Shaub at A&M (and seconded later on) and was quite good bar-b-que for a ballpark.
Add in a beautiful sunny day, optimism springing from a new season and it was a great day to be at the game. My number one criteria for a stadium is something I can’t quite explain, other than that it feels like baseball should be played there. OPACY had that and more, and I’ll be happy to go back at any time.
Current Stadium Ratings:
- Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs – Chicago, IL)
- PNC Park (Pittsburgh Pirates – Pittsburgh, PA)
- Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros – Houston, TX)
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles – Baltimore, MD)
- Coors Field (Colorado Rockies – Denver, CO)
- Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers – Arlington, TX)
- Miller Park (Milwaukee Brewers – Milwaukee, WI)
- Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks – Phoenix, AZ)
- Busch Stadium (Saint Louis Cardinals – Saint Louis, Missouri)
- Guaranteed Rate Stadium (Chicago White Sox, Chicago, IL)