Stadium Name: SunTrust Park
Location: Cumberland, Georgia
Team: Atlanta Braves
Stadium Rating: A
First Game: April 15, 2017, Braves – 4, Padres – 2
Stadium Number 12.
I can’t remember a day that I was not an Atlanta Braves fan. Growing up, I watched Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Greg Maddux, and countless others win division title after division title on TBS.
My dad has been a Braves fan for his whole life (though now primarily follows the Brewers), and my brothers have been too. It was just normal.
But despite following the Braves for close to 20 years, I had never been to a home game. I’d never down the “Tomahawk Chop” with 40,000 other Braves fans. But in April of this year, I finally got to go.
The Braves won the two games my friend and I went to, but the experience of finally flying to Atlanta and seeing the Braves – in a new park nonetheless – was more important than the games. As far as a ballpark experience, SunTrust Park was fantastic. I am obviously going to be biased as I write this review, but it was truly a spectacular weekend. The hospitality of the Braves fans/employees was unbelievable. The stadium itself was pristine and I would fly back in a heartbeat.
The cool part of the new stadium – and something that will probably be imitated with new parks – is that they basically built a little town around the park, called The BatteryATL. The restaurants and shops around were a cool little perk and it felt like “Braves Country.”
The Braves aren’t too good, but that weekend is one I’ll never forget.
- Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs – Chicago, IL)
- SunTrust Park (Atlanta Braves – Atlanta, GA)
- PNC Park (Pittsburgh Pirates – Pittsburgh, PA)
- Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros – Houston, TX)
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles – Baltimore, MD)
- Coors Field (Colorado Rockies – Denver, CO)
- Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia Phillies – Philadelphia, PA)
- Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers – Arlington, TX)
- Miller Park (Milwaukee Brewers – Milwaukee, WI)
- Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks – Phoenix, AZ)
- Busch Stadium (Saint Louis Cardinals – Saint Louis, Missouri)
- Guaranteed Rate Stadium (Chicago White Sox, Chicago, IL)