Stadium Name: Petco Park
Location: San Diego, California
Team: San Diego, CA
Stadium Rating: A
First Game: June 3, 2017, Rockies – 10, Padres – 1
This was probably the coolest story I have to tell for traveling to a stadium yet.
It started as a joke of an idea, to fly several states over for a day to go to a game, and then flying back at night. But sometimes jokes can become reality, and that is what happened on this June day.
I had a 8 AM flight that got to San Diego 9:30. I immediately took an Uber from the airport to the beach, and got to take a few (very, very) cold steps into the Pacific Ocean for the first time. After walking around and a quick nap on the beach, I got a cab back across the bay over to lunch before biking to the stadium.
I wasn’t expecting too much of Petco Park, but it quickly became one of my favorites. I was walking around all day in sandals, needing a break just before the game started. Petco has a massive lawn behind center field that let’s people throw down a blanket and enjoy the game from afar with their dogs, kids and whoever else they decided to bring. So I got to watch part of the game while laying back on a green hill overlooking the stadium. Not too bad.
My seats were up high, per usual, but the view was still great, and you could see a lot of San Diego in the background. My new hometown team, the Colorado Rockies, absolutely crushed the Padres – it wasn’t even close – but the stadium was a gem and one I would gladly go back to (San Diego too – for that matter).
From the game, I went and walked around downtown San Diego, the Gaslamp Quarter, and then eventually took an Uber back to the airport. By 7 o’clock, I was back on a plane, and home by 11 PM.
In 15 hours, I took two flights, watched an entire baseball game, went to the beach, and got some great food at the Pier. It was an absolutely great day.
While normally something like that would turn me away from doing such a quick and rushed trip, it was such a great time that I’m definitely not opposed to doing it again. Halfway through 2017, I was more than 50% finished with my list. But that still leaves a lot of stadiums and a lot of traveling to go.
- Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs – Chicago, IL)
- SunTrust Park (Atlanta Braves – Atlanta, GA)
- PNC Park (Pittsburgh Pirates – Pittsburgh, PA)
- Target Field (Minneapolis Twins – Minneapolis, MN)
- Petco Park (San Diego Padres – San Diego, CA)
- Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros – Houston, TX)
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles – Baltimore, MD)
- Coors Field (Colorado Rockies – Denver, CO)
- Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia Phillies – Philadelphia, PA)
- Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers – Arlington, TX)
- Miller Park (Milwaukee Brewers – Milwaukee, WI)
- Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks – Phoenix, AZ)
- Safeco Field (Seattle Mariners – Seattle, WA)
- Busch Stadium (Saint Louis Cardinals – Saint Louis, Missouri)
- Oakland Alameda County Stadium (Oakland Athletics – Oakland, CA)
- Guaranteed Rate Stadium (Chicago White Sox, Chicago, IL)