Stadium Name: Safeco Field
Location: Seattle, Washington
Team: Seattle Mariners
Stadium Rating: B-
First Game: May 21, 2017, White Sox – 8, Mariners – 1
At the beginning of this year, I had 9 stadiums done on my list, and no real agenda of when I’d get any more completed. But yet here I was, halfway home by mid-May. Safeco Field was the sunny backdrop for stadium #15.
A lot of the locals bragged on Safeco Field, about how new it was, about the amenities and views. But a quick Wikipedia search shows that Safeco is actually now in the older half of stadiums by year, which is crazy given that it opened up in 1999.
To me, it was a nice stadium, especially due to the sunny afternoon with hardly a cloud in the sky. But the cheapest seat I could find was still out in the bleachers near center field, where it got a bit harder to see. The Mariners got crushed too, so there was a noticeable quiet around the stadium.
That being said – a couple things I’ll give to the Mariners. Their crowd is very loyal – most people didn’t leave early despite it being a pretty hot day, and their team was getting smoked by a lesser opponent. They also had a really cool Hall of Fame that you could walk through. I’m a sucker for that sort of thing – but in this case it was especially cool since it housed my favorite non-Brave of all time, Ken Griffey Jr.
But – I couldn’t really look past too much of that, as Safeco unfortunately gets a ranking lower down on my list. This was the first time I was able to go to Seattle, the city itself was awesome, and I loved the views. But unfortunately, the stadium just doesn’t cut it with the current batch of modern parks that are seemingly coming out each year.
- Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs – Chicago, IL)
- SunTrust Park (Atlanta Braves – Atlanta, GA)
- PNC Park (Pittsburgh Pirates – Pittsburgh, PA)
- Target Field (Minneapolis Twins – Minneapolis, MN)
- Minute Maid Park (Houston Astros – Houston, TX)
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles – Baltimore, MD)
- Coors Field (Colorado Rockies – Denver, CO)
- Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia Phillies – Philadelphia, PA)
- Ballpark in Arlington (Texas Rangers – Arlington, TX)
- Miller Park (Milwaukee Brewers – Milwaukee, WI)
- Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks – Phoenix, AZ)
- Safeco Field (Seattle Mariners – Seattle, WA)
- Busch Stadium (Saint Louis Cardinals – Saint Louis, Missouri)
- Oakland Alameda County Stadium (Oakland Athletics – Oakland, CA)
- Guaranteed Rate Stadium (Chicago White Sox, Chicago, IL)